Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

I usually do not title a piece before starting it but I was recently thinking about making a piece that is based on the color TV test pattern:
And I thought of that great song/poem by Gil Scott-Heron, The Revolution Will Not Be Televised. It will be a challenge in a number of ways, not least of which is making a piece that lives up to the title. I'm also not sure how well I can reproduce those colors, they are very intense, but I'm hoping that if I can just get close enough for people to recognize what it is, I will not have to replicate them exactly.

In tracking down the song and listening to it on YouTube, I was struck by the compelling blend of humor and anger. I also thought how relevant it is for today and how nice (what a relief) it is to know that trivialities are an obsessive part of all generations. For some reason, we tend to think the age we are living in is different or special but the reality is, it is always the same thing happening with just different names and technologies. It would be interesting to hear an updated version, perhaps entitled, The Revolution Will Not Be Streamed On YouTube. The irony is that, of course, it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment