Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Side Two

Back in 2009 I had experimented with cutting grooves and filling them with epoxy. I had made a series with two-inch thick boards that I resaw-ed and to create two 1-inch thick sculptures with the same rectangular patterns on both sides. Because one of the halves had holes all the way through, I filled some of them with tinted clear epoxy; the matching half was filled with just black opaque epoxy.

Although I finished, and had long since sold, the black opaque epoxy halves, the tinted clear epoxy halves remained unfinished, stacked in my studio, because I wasn't sure how to highlight the tinted epoxy. I had thought that I could build a light box and use LEDs inside but when I realized that the battery life was too short, I gave up that idea. Recently, however, I decided to paint their backside white so that any light would reflect back out, resulting in a little of the same effect.

Here are the finally finished pieces next to their older counterparts. Had I figured this out a couple of years ago, I'm sure I would have made them diptychs. Regardless, it is nice to finally have the inspiration to finish an older piece.
 One Green Rectangle (left)/Eleven Rectangles w/Blue (right)
shellac on curly maple, cherry, and epoxy
30.5" x 10" x 1"
2009-2012/2009

Pistacchio (left)/Gelato (right)
shellac on curly maple, cherry, and epoxy
26" x 11" x 1"
2009-2012/2009
 
 Anticipating Spring (left)/Green Grass - Summer Day (right)
shellac on curly maple, cherry, and epoxy
26" x 11" x 1"
2009-2012/2009
The story on these final two pieces is a little different. It took me about 1.5 years to finish the black opaque epoxy piece (rightside), and after I was done I was so frustrated with how long it took that I didn't want to sell it. As a result, I titled it NFS and didn't display it until recently when I had finished its matching pair, On Second Thought, which sold before I could capture a good image of it. Below is a booth shot, hence the greenish border.
On Second Thought (left)/NSF (right)
shellac on curly maple, cherry, and epoxy
15" x 11.5" x 1"
2009-2011/2009-2010

No comments:

Post a Comment