Monday, September 15, 2014

Fear of Triangles

In August I was asked by the architecture firm Gossens Bachman Architects to paint a metal garage door on a warehouse building next to their offices in Montpelier, VT. This was an especially fun commission because, just like my last one, I was given free reign to create whatever I wanted without any discussion, plans, or drawings. This is how I prefer to work so it is a blessing to find clients who are brave enough to go along with my madness. In fact, the extent of our conversation about the design was the following:

GBA: So, do you know what you'll do?
RH: I have a vague idea.
GBA: Do you know how long it will take?
RH: Until I'm happy. Maybe a week, maybe more, or I might go super-minimalist and decide that I'm done when I show up the first day. 
GBA: Ok.
Fear of Triangles
exterior latex paints and stains on metal
144" x 138"
2014
 I ended up using twenty-two colors and creating twenty shapes. I visited all the local paint stores looking for mistints so I could find random colors cheap but ended up having to mix some of my own because, with a couple of exceptions, the mistints were dull/boring colors and I was looking for bright colors that would make the piece highly visible from a distance.
Fear of Triangles (site view)
 The painting is located in an obscure industrial section of town but it is visible, especially in the winter months, from Barre Street, a highly traveled side street. I'm happy to report that the feedback has been positive and GBA is happy with the results. I look forward to finding more opportunities for outdoor paintings because my dream/vision is to eventually start painting buildings. I'm hoping I can find a client brave enough to hire me because I don't have the money right now to buy my own structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment